Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sorting a report results by days of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmconsult

IS-IT--Management
Jul 25, 2001
US
I have a report which lists for an individual person the days they can work. ex. M,T,W,H,F or a combination such as M,W,F. so it resembles this

john doe M
Jane Doe M,W,F
Tim Smith T
Bob Dell T,H

I would like to some how sort these results by days first by individual day and then groups. so that the final report looks like this

John Doe M
Tim Smith T
Jane Doe M,W,F
Bob Dell T,H
is it possible to set this up in the query or report or any thing close to this.

Are the days of the week in 1 text box? Maybe you could use a yes/no field for each day of the week instead.
It would be easier to sort that way.

yes the days of the week are in one text box. Its named [Days]. do you mean have five yesno fields named after each day and just check the days they can work? that would be a good idea, its just Im working with imported data from an old RBase and the data is listed in one field named days.

Is the data comming from an old scheduling application or is new data written the same way? If it's a matter of old data, I would write a query that evaluates the characters in [Days] and sets the appropriate yes/no fields.

I'm not sure if you would use the MID function or some sort of wildcard.

Of course I guess you could use the same query on a daily basis to change the data, old or new.

Anyone else have a suggestion??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back