Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sorting a generic dimension object resulting from 2 dataproviders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SergeS

MIS
Aug 14, 2002
Hello all,

I've got a problem with sorting the values of a generic dimension object. The situation is as follows.

In BusinessObjects I have produced a report using two dataproviders (two seperate queries running on one and the same universe). From the result set I have constructed 1 report. I have defined a generic value object which equals the sum of two values objects from the two queries. Furthermore I have defined a generic dimension object which divides the values from the generic value object in several categories. F.e. if <value> => 0 and <value> < 1 then &quot;0 or more, less than 1&quot;.

After the report is run I want to sort the values of this dimension object. BO only let me use the standard sort options A->Z and Z->A but I can not define a customized sort strategy.

Does some have a solution for this?

Greeting Serge

Let's call <category> to your original dimension which divides the values from the generic value object in several categories:
[tt]
<category> = If (<value> => 0 And <value> < 1) Then &quot;0 or more, less than 1&quot; Else If ...
[/tt]
The trick is to make another dimension (let's call it <category oder>) which also divides the values from the generic value object in several categories, but with ordered return values (either numeric or character).
[tt]
<category order> = If (<value> => 0 And <value> < 1) Then 1 Else If ...
[/tt]
Then, when you want <category> ordered, add another column with <category order>, and order it. Then hide <category order> (in the rotation tab of the table properties dialog).

Tip 1: In some situations, another way to hide a variable in a table is to convert it to a break, and then remove its column and the header and footer of the break.

Tip 2: To avoid errors, you could also define <category> like this:
[tt]
<category> = If (<category order> = 1) Then &quot;0 or more, less than 1&quot; Else If ...
[/tt]

Thanks promero,

Life can be so simple :)

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back