Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort Table by ALL COLORS

Status
Not open for further replies.

williekay

Technical User
Jun 30, 2003
US
I have a table in EXCEL 2010 that has conditional formating to color cells in 12 different columns with 16 different colors - is there a way to say :: SORT TABLE by ANY(or all) COLORED CELLS

Willie

hi,

I am confused! How can you sort by "ANY(or all)" of whatever?

Please explain exactly what you mean.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Why not just sort your data using the same criteria as the conditional formatting?

My question is, how can you SORT by ANY, which means sort by one or more of something, aside from the CF issue???

Skip,
[sub]

Hi Willie,

I assume you want to sort in a fashion that All rows with coloured cells come first, no matter WHICH of their cells is coloured?
How about this:
a) AFAIK, there is no formula in Excel to check whether a cell is coloured. Glad if someone knows different though.
b) Therefore you'll need a little VBA for the next step:

- Put an "X" in the first cell in the first unused column, say AA1, if any of the cells in this row is coloured.
- After that, you can sort the sheet by by column AA, with column A as a second sort parameter (you'll surely want some kind of sorting based on the contents too, I'm sure).

Will that do?

Cheers,
MakeItSo

“Knowledge is power. Information is liberating. Education is the premise of progress, in every society, in every family.” (Kofi Annan)
Oppose SOPA, PIPA, ACTA; measures to curb freedom of information under whatever name whatsoever.

I believe that there are UNANSWERED questions.

The OP states that there is "conditional formating to color cells in 12 different columns".

Then the OP requires to "SORT TABLE by ANY(or all) COLORED CELLS"

So how would any of you sort a table by ANY(or all) colored cells in 12 different columns?

Does that make sense? Maybe I'm missing something!

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back