Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort Problem in Excel Spreadsheet 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fish2

Technical User
Oct 24, 2002
US
I am having a problem sorting a mail list by zip code it begins to sort it correctly and then it takes it out of order and begins to resort all over again. There were two lists combined one was exported to an excel spreadsheet from Blackbaud. Anyone with any insight please, please respond my head is about to explode. I believe it has something to do with the formatting but I have tried just about everything I can think of short of retyping....Thanks in advance for help!!!!

I feel your pain! My wife has these problems now and then...often resulting from different zip formats. I got around it by formatting a new column in custom zip format, and copying the old mixed column, using paste special/add. At least I think that's what I did.

Hi,

You can't mix 5 & 5+4 formats AND use that column to sort.

However, if you make another column for a 5 digit ZIP, then sort on it, EVERYTHING will be A-OK! ;-)
[tt]
=left(Z1,5)
[/tt]
where column Z is the MIXED ZIPs

:)

Skip,

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Thank you the suggestions helped me solve my problem!!!!! woooo hooooo

Or you could highlite the column then
Format > Cells > Special > pick zip or zip +4
sort

Sorry I should have read the thread...didn't see you imported text data.

Yep jfhewitt is correct with the paste special

Sorry...going home now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back