Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort order of subform

Status
Not open for further replies.

marct

Programmer
Apr 6, 1999
US
Hi,

I have a database that consists of product codes and steps to make the products. On one form, you can select from different product codes, and when a new one is selected, the corresponding steps are shown in a subform contained on the form. I have a table that contains all the steps for all the products, and when a product code is selected on the form, the steps are supposed to be displayed in order. The "Link" child & master fields for the subform are the product code (the prod code of the selections from the step table must correspond with the prod code on the form). Problem is, if I have 5 steps and delete step 3, then reenter a new step 3, the subform will display the steps in the order of 1,2,4,5,3. I can't seem to get it to display in order properly, where it will always display (in the subform) in order of step number. Although, when I look at just the table of steps, the records are separated by product code, then further ordered by step number. Why can't I force it to do the same thing on the subform?

Sorry for the length of the post, and thanks in advance for any help.

-Marc [sig][/sig]

What you are describing is a type of routing for manufacturing a product. Typically I use an operation sequence number for each Step (I couldnt tell from your post if you have such a field in your table). Depending on your application, you may prefer that this be hidden, or shown, but you will need it to preserve and alter operation (or step) sequence. In the query for the subform, you will then order by the operation number.

Hope this helps.
If not let me know and I can E-mail tyou a sample. [sig]<p>Dave<br><a href=mailto:gallagherd@earthlink.net>gallagherd@earthlink.net</a><br>[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back