Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sort by formula feild in Group footer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dz0k52

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
CA
Hi I am using Crystal 8.5 with an Oracle 10 database. I have a report which uses a formula based on the results of other formulas. I am trying to sort or order the report based on the results of the formula but I cannot see it in the TOP N/Sort Groups expert. I will try and explain what I have.
The formula I want to sort by is this:
@Availability:calculation of machine availabilityThis formula is placed in The group footer of each Workorder.eqnum group.

if {@Mean time between failure} <> 0 then
{@Mean time between failure}/ ({@Mean time between failure}+ {@Avg. Time to Repair} )*100
else 0

This calculation uses the following formulas:
@Mean time between failure :average amount of time between workordersThis is also placed in the group footer of workorder.eqnum

WhilePrintingRecords;
if {@sum workorders} <> 0 then
numbervar sumhrs /{@sum workorders}
else 0

@Avg. Time to Repair :mean time to repairThis is also placed in the group footer of workorder.eqnum
(By the way this field is the only choice I have in the TOpn/Sort Group expert)

Average ({@Repair Time}, {WORKORDER.EQNUM})

Both of these formulas are also in each detail line but the final calculation is done at the group level.
I will also include the other formulas:

@ Accumulative Hours-placed in details accumulated hours between repairs
WhilePrintingRecords;
numbervar hrs:={@Time between last failure};
numbervar sumhrs:= sumhrs +hrs;

@Repair Time:-placed in group footer repair time of record
if ({WORKORDER.ACTFINISH} - ({WORKORDER.ACTSTART}))* 24 < .05 then 0
else ({WORKORDER.ACTFINISH} - ({WORKORDER.ACTSTART}))* 24

@sum workorders: accumulated workorder which meet criteria Placed in group footer

WhilePrintingRecords;
numbervar countwo:=tonumber({@Count Workorders});
numbervar tothrs:= tothrs + countwo;

@Count Workorders :-placed in details and suppressed count of workorder which meet criteria
if {@Time between last failure} > 0
then 1

@Time between last failure :-placed in details and suppressed time between last workorder
IF previous({WORKORDER.WORKTYPE}) = 'EM'
and ({WORKORDER.ACTSTART} >= previous({WORKORDER.ACTFINISH}))then
((DateDiff ("n", previous({WORKORDER.ACTFINISH}),{WORKORDER.ACTSTART} ))/60)

I hope its not too cumbersome and if more information is needed, please let me know.
Thanks for taking the time to look.

I don't believe you will be able to do this. To use topN/group sort, you need to be able to insert a summary on a field/formula. Ordinarily in situations like yours, you could have used SQL expressions (or commands in higher versions) to return the necessary summaries. You could then have used a formula to calculate using these summaries and then inserted a maximum on the formula after placing it in the detail section. TopN/group sort would have then been available. BUT, the problem is that your final formula above shows that your calculations are based on a comparison between records, using the previous() function. Because of this, I cannot think of a way you can do this.

-LB

The "previous" function has caused me grief with other formulas. I am having trouble displaying this result in a chart also. I am assuming its also because of the same reason. Do later versions of Crystal address this issue?

No, later versions don't address this.

I would consider writing a Stored Procedure or View(s) to return the data in a more normalized fashion for the report.

-k

I am not familiar with using a stored procedure in report writing. Is there a thread(s) or a resource you could recommend? The scope of this seems to be quite complicated. I am selecting on two parameters including a date range and am reporting on averages of many records (including information about "previous" records).

I have come up with a way to manipulate the data which is more “normalized”. Although the result is not accurate, the sort order is about 99% accurate. If I can get this field to work I will display my original formula but sort by and suppress this normalized formula. Here is what I have:
The field I now want to sort by is this:
@new availability: (availability of machine)

if {@new mtbf calculation} <> 0 then
{@new mtbf calculation}/({@new mtbf calculation}+ {@average of repair time} )*100
else 0 text

@ new mtbf calculation: (Simplified Mean Time Between Failure Calculation)

if Sum ({@simple wo count}, {WORKORDER.EQNUM}) <> 0 then
{@date range calculation} /Sum ({@simple wo count}, {WORKORDER.EQNUM})
else 0

@average of repair time:

Sum ({@Repair Time}, {WORKORDER.EQNUM})/Count ({WORKORDER.WONUM}, {WORKORDER.EQNUM})

@simple wo count: (Could also use summary function)

if {WORKORDER.WONUM} = {WORKORDER.WONUM} then 1

@date range calculation: Calculates number of hours in Parameter selection

tonumber (DateDiff ("h", minimum({?Report Date}),maximum({?Report Date}) ))

I can see every field in the Top N function except the “@date range calculation”, which leads me to believe that it is the field that may be keeping me from seeing “@new availability” in the list. Is there any way of “normalizing” this field to allow it to be used in the TOP N/Sort function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back