Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sort by date desc - but i want nulls on top 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev510

Programmer
Jul 12, 2006
hello everyone,

I am trying to create a query that will sort a DATE column in descending order, but I need nulls to show up on top (for display purposes). Is this possible, and how can it be done?

Please let me know if more information is needed.
Thanks in advance!!

would this still sort the dates in a descending order?

sorry I should've tested it out before asking.
works like a charm!!
Thank you so much.

but now I have to figure out how I can use it in my stored procedure... apparently it's not cooperating with the UNION statement (I get an error message saying "ERROR: 104 ORDER by items must appear in the select list if the statement contains the UNION operator")

here's the query :) -

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('sqloledb', 'server=00111;database=unet;uid=abc;pwd=abc',
'select ern, ertitle, duration, claimcount, QueryType, EROtherExclusions, testmode, dateadd(hh,1,Executed) as DateSent, runorder from TABLE')
union

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('sqloledb', 'server=00110;database=unet;uid=abc;pwd=abc',
'select ern, ertitle, duration, claimcount, QueryType, EROtherExclusions, testmode, dateadd(hh,1,Executed) as DateSent, Executed, runorder from TABLE') order by
case when executed is null then 0 else 1 end, datesent desc, ern desc

You don't have a column called executed in your select list. Maybe you need this?

Code:
order by case when datesent is null then 0 else 1 end, datesent desc, ern desc

Hope this helps,

Alex

[small]----signature below----[/small]
I can't compete with you physically, and you're no match for my brains.
You're that smart?
Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?
Yes.
Morons!

oops!
I gave you the wrong query...
the one I posted was the one I was working on (sorry for the trouble)

this is the query that is giving me problems -

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('sqloledb', 'server=SERVER1;database=unet;uid=abc;pwd=abc',
'select ern, dateadd(hh,1,Executed) as DateSent from TABLE')
union

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('sqloledb', 'server=SERVER0;database=unet;uid=abc;pwd=abc',
'select ern, dateadd(hh,1,Executed) as DateSent from TABLE') order by
case when datesent is null then 0 else 1 end, datesent desc, ern desc

thank you for your help!
I got this figured out.

Have a great day!

ANSI SQL 2003 also has a NULLS FIRST/LAST option.

E.g. ORDER BY datecol NULLS FIRST

(NULLS FIRST is non-core feature, included in T611, "Elementary OLAP operations")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back