Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sophos Anti-Spam/Anti-Virus for GroupWise

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkesting

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2003
US
Does anyone use Sophos Pure Message as an anti-spam/anti-virus solution for GroupWise? I am looking at it and wondering what others think of it.

Thanks.

We use Sophos for our desktop and servers. So I can't remark on their GW spam/virus product.

We use Barracuda as our spam/virus firewall. And have been for over 3 years. Pound for pound one of the best for the price. And we receive in over 300k pieces of mail a day. We get a spam stoppage rate of approx. 85 to 87 percent, not to shabby for a turnkey system costing less than 5k.

V-Peace-V

I would not consider 85% spam blockage very good. That's 15% spam getting through, and if you do the numbers, it means 45,000 spams are making it through. That's just horrendous.

GWArchive from Messaging Architects has much better performance. I've never used Sophos so I can't comment on that.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

I would totally agree that Messaging Architects M+Guardian technology can do a better job. But based on Messaging Architects #'s, when I had them run me a quote on a system, I could not justify the cost to my superiors. Being an educational facility all monies are watched by the bean counters. So they figured we could live with a 10% or less in spam stoppage for the $100,000.00 + difference between Spam/Virus solutions.

Besides, we are slowly convincing our Clients (all 6,549 of them) to use the the Junk Mail Handling/Address Book lookup feature of GW. Which when used with Barracuda gets us as close to a 100% stoppage rate as possible vs. monies spent.

But I see us eventually having to go to a Messaging Architects type system because of the need to be more aggressive in content filtering for pictures and such. Hopefully Barracuda, or others, will come up with as an effective solution w/out the back breaking cost.

My apologies for the rant type reply. But it is an ever ongoing battle between IT and the Business department for us . One watches out for the Staff and Kids while the other watches the coin purse. Both have valid reasons I guess.

V-Peace-V

That seems high for an M+ solution. I'm going to check with our MA guy and see what the deal is.

And I do know that even $100,000 seems like a lot. That's a lot when dealing with anything. But usually the cost per user for schools is much lower than the private sector (Although I will admit I'm not up to speed on M+ pricing for schools).

For example, with Novell's SLA licensing, it's $2.00/student per year. So yeah, $60,000 might sound like a lot, but it covers 30,000 students. Hell of a deal.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

godrednU, can you comment on the number of faculty vs the number of students? I've started a dialog with MA and trying to get an idea of how their pricing is calculated for you guys..

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Sorry Marv, first time I've been able to get back here on the forum. I'll get some #'s together for you on Faculty vs. Student here shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back