Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony Vaio RX550 HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2003
US
VP just brought in his son's desktop. It boots but can't start windows (XP) gets to XP splash screen then reboots. Running Safe Mode, you see it loading drivers and gets to Iomdisk.inf, hangs then reboots. I believe it is having a problem loading that driver which is for an Iomega Zip Drive, I'm guessing. Problem is it won't even start in Safe Mode so that I can remove the driver. I've tried recovery console, Last Known Good, fdisk /mbr, scandisk. HELP!!!

Is there a zip hooked up? If not hook one up and try to boot and have a good disk in the drive. Not sure about this but in the bios there should be an option to "reset extended system configuration data" or something close to that. Choose yes and reboot. It might not help but it won't hurt.

If you're going through Hell...keep going... (Winston Churchill)
RocKeRFelLerZ

In Recovery Console do a chkdsk /r
This often will let you then boot to safe mode.

Second, in Safe Mode, turn off the reboot on error setting so that you can see the Blue Screen: right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Error Reporting.

Although the Iomega driver is the last you see load, it may have nothing to do with the restart.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already tried those things. Ended up slaving the drive off on another machine and moving the data over. Strangly enough, The drive had two partitions a c: and a d: and you could read the d: from windows explorer, so i moved that data up to the network to move back after I re-installed, but, couldnt read c: (OS partition) so i had to use a bootdisk to move over the user profile, my docs etc..to another HDD to move back after re-installing. I was unable to read the data from d: from the bootdisk. Lots of dos commands, no fun! I had restore disk for the system, so I used that and moved the data back on and it running creamy rich...Oh yeah, the restore cd forced a C and D partion, no way around it. I still do not know exactly what was wrong with it. FuX0rd!

Sounds like drive C was converted to NTFS, but not D.

Be sure to get upgraded drivers for the Iomega drive.

actually, the other way around C was fat32 D was NTFS. that is the way Sonys restore sets it up. as for the driver, ithink the latest driver was part of the problem. I read alot of posts from people who used iomegas drivers and they completely hosed their system. think about it, when trying to load in safemode iomegas driver should not be loading as a .sys file/driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back