Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony VAIO modem not working in W2K Pro???

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0AOZ

Technical User
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Have loaded a Sony VAIO notebook model PCG-FX203K with Win2K Pro. All drivers downloaded from the Sony site for this op system work ok except for the modem driver. Modem works ok under Win ME (Ugh!), and is described as Conexant-Ambit SoftK56 Data Fax ICH modem.

Anyone got this modem to work under W2K, and if so where did you get driver from please?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hi - I have Sony Vaio PCG-FX101 which I installed Win 2K Pro on and after much searching, managed to download a modem driver which works, albeit it not the one for this model. Search on google for COC418KNAW.EXE and it brings up a couple of sites where you can download the driver from. Hope this works for you.

I have a problem though in that my modem in totally silent so can't hear the dial tone or handshaking which I find annoying as I like to hear connection progress. Does anybody have any ideas on how to sort this? I tried a couple of AT commands but no joy.

Thanks in advance....

Thanks for that SCORWI. I'll check that out, and when the machine comes back again in the future I'll give that a whirl.

I haven't used AT commands for years, but which ones have you been trying, to switch on the modem speaker? As I recall the ATLn and ATMn commands have some bearing on modem sound...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hi - I've tried ATM1 which is supposed to enable the speaker during call establishment and then turn it off after carrier detected. Still no sound... think it may be disabled on the VAIO somehow - asked Sony and they pointed me to another driver that crashed the PC every time we tried to dial up!

Ah well, I'll have to get used to the silent world of the Sony modem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back