Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sony SDX-400C I/O Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oroville

Technical User
Dec 1, 2004
US
Sony tape drive model: SDX-400C
Operating System: Windows 2003 Server

The backup fails and gives an I/O error. The tape cannot be ejected without rebooting the system.

Is it normal for the drive light to flash continuously when a tape is installed?

My guess is that you are experiencing some minor issues related to you SCSI bus! The LED's usually give a pointer to what the drive is actually doing and I wouldn't be surprised if the 'waiting for reset' can be translated directly to you blinking code!

I/O errors could be an indicator that your SCSI bus is incorrectly terminated, old firmware on either controller or drive, poor device driver for either controller or drive or a transfer rate set to high for the device's taste!
Try updating drivers for the controller and the drive, and test/replace your SCSI cables and ensure that an active terminator is present on the SCSI bus! Also - try and lower the transfer rate for the SCSI ID to e.g. 10MB/s while troubleshooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back