Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SonicWall VS Watchguard 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTVilla

IS-IT--Management
May 31, 2002
IL
Why would one pick a watchguard over a sonicwall. My Vendor is trying to talk me into purchasing a Watchguard instead of a Pro 2040 to replace our old Pro 200. We've always used SonicWall and have had little trouble with them and I'm not sure I want to learn all over again.

I dont know official technical reasons, but i've installed small watchguars up to an x500 and ive installed the sonicwall tz-170, the interface on the sonicwall is much earier to naviggate and understand, the configuration was definatley easier (the x500 took quite a few visits to get right) and the IPSEC vpn cluient for the sonicwall is much easier to get connected, it gets all the tunnelsettings etc for you on connection rather than having to pass a configuration file round.

I am now definately a sonicwall fan, and i think easier to work with than cisco pix too and i've installed about 30 501's

Skr

My Vendor is trying to talk me into purchasing a Watchguard instead of a Pro 2040"
Because he is more familiar with the Watchguard. Agree with SKeem, the Sonicwalls have more changeable features, the better choice.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

We have a bunch of SonicWall's in our installation ranging from small SOHO boxes up to 4100's, and have had SonicWall's for years and years.
We have never had any real problems with them at all (we have around 165 in production at the moment)

I have never had anything to do with WatchGuard, but we have had tons of problems trying to get VPN connections to work when we have to connect to WatchGuard boxes (And Cisco boxes)

If you don't have a high-end security need I would go with SonicWall, especially since you already know them.

I wouldn't replace a CheckPoint Firewall 1 cluster with SonicWall's, but except for those high-end needs my first choise is SonicWall.

/johnny

Thank you for the input. I too, really like the Sonicwall prodcuts and the interfaces.

I just set up a Sonicwall SSL-VPN unit for a side job and liked it so much I bought one for my main job. It makes remote access a breeze.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back