Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SonicWall VPN - newbie question,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
Hi,

We're working on rolling out a VPN for a few mobile users in our office. I'm pretty new to VPN and am having a few issues getting things to work right and could use a helpful nudge or two getting this up and running.

We've got a SonicWall Pro 230 firewall and run Win2K server and Professional on the laptops.

I've got the SonicWall VPN client installed on the laptops and can establish a connection. I've also installed and setup routing and remote access on our server. I've created the virtual adapter on each client and can authenticate with the server, but not browse the network.

When I had ONLY the SonicWall VPN client installled, I could establish a connection and ping/trace all the servers on the network. Still couldn't browse.

I then installed the microsoft virtual VPN adapter, was able to authenticate and connect, but can no longer ping/trace any servers. I still cannot browse any folders/shares.

As I mentioned, I'm new to VPN and would appreciate any advice, suggestions on what I'm missing here. Seems like it's something small I'm overlooking, but I don't know where to look.

Thanks for any help!

Anyone?

Maybe a few basic questions...

As I mentioned, the SonicWall client connects. I'm guessing that it's only establishing a connection to the firewall and not the network. At least, that's how it appears. The client installed a network adapter also, but it seems to be pulling an IP that I have no clue where it comes from. I can't get it to authenticate or browse the network.

After doing some reading, I installed Microsoft's VPN adapter and pointed it to our DC. I've disabled the SonicWall adapter and used the Microsoft VPN adapter to successfully connect to our network, but still can't browse any files or folders. Now...a day later and I'm starting to get a PPP error. Error 720. Says I cannot establish a PPP connection.

I could really use some help here, as I'm probably in over my head a little with this.

Do I need the Microsoft VPN adapter or is the SonicWall adapter supposed to be what I should be using? I was under the impression that the SonicWall client was supposed to create the VPN connection through the firewall to our network. The SonicWall adapter has no authentication like the Microsoft adapter, so I don't understand how it can connect to our network. The MIcrosoft VPN adapter does have authentication and does connect to the network aside from the error 720 message that began appearing yesterday. I must've made a change that's causing this error. The error began after I pointed the Microsoft VPN adapter to our DC to handle DNS and WINS. I've since removed those pointers but the error still occurs.

I guess I'm confused as to what adapters I really need installed and where they're supposed to be looking to get their addresses from.
Routing and remote access are installed on the server and the clients allowed to connect have been enabled under users and computers.

Can anyone shed some light on this and throw me a bone?

Thanks again

PPTP is not necessary at all. Sonic is using IPSec, which terminates your VPN to Sonic = your LAN. SonicWALL has excellent documentation, please have a look at it, you did pay for it.

If you are still having problems let me know. I have used SonicWall before and could give you a few pointers if needed. As this is a fairly old post, I won't waste time giving advice if the problems solved...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back