Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sonicwall TZ 105 application bandwidth management

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwhite432

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2012
US
I have a new Sonicwall TZ 105 firmware SonicOS Enhanced 5.9. I have enabled bandwidth management on the WAN interface and input my upload and download speeds accordingly. I was wanting to make an app rule to limit torrent traffic to 1 Mbps. I am using advanced bandwidth management instead of global bandwidth management so that I can set speeds on a per rule basis. I did not create an action object since there was an "Advanced BWM Low" created by default that limited traffic to 1 Mbps and set priority to 7. I then created a match object with the "Match Object Type" set to "Application Category List" and the category P2P. I then created an App Rule to specifying "App Control Content" as the policy type, any as the address, the match object, and the action object. I then opened a utorrent and started downloading a Linux iso just to test. I can see the counter going up for the app rule and the log shows activity regarding torrent traffic but the bandwidth is not limited. Is there something that I am missing? I am new to Sonicwall so any insight would be appreciated.

I went back and tried the same scenario but used global bandwidth management instead of advanced. This time the torrent traffic was throttled as expected. This makes me think that none of my bandwidth management rules were working when in advanced mode. Anyone have any experience with bandwidth management in advance mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back