Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Somewhat off subject

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmkimmons

Technical User
Jun 29, 2001
US
Hi all,

I'm looking for more information about barcoding and incorporating it into Access. I've searched through the Access forums in here and have learned quite a bit. However, i still have many fundimental questions about barcoding in general (i.e. which symbology would be best for my application, etc.)

Does anyone know any forums in here or on the net that deal primarily with barcoding? I've got lots of questions.

Much thanks!

~Rob

If we expect the unexpected, does that make the unexpected... well, expected?

What kind of questions? A barcode is really just another font that's not readable by human eyes. If you take a bar code reader and scan the barcode into NotePad, you will get the numbers that the barcode represents. When you scan it with the reader, it acts just like typing on the keyboard. What are you doing with this barcode?

Leslie

Well, for starters, i'm trying to decide on which symbology to use. Right now it's a tossup between code 128 and 3of9 extended. Both allow alphanumeric data.

It seems the drawback to 128 is that it prints out wider and can have problems scanning. 3of9 looks like it could work, but i don't know if you can code a "tab" feature within it like i think you can with 128.

I want to include the "tab" within the code so that i can label cases that come in with both the STK# and then a "tab" and then to have the case quantity. This is necessary because caselots can change from shipment to shipment and by having the case qty. within the same scan as the STK# i can cut down on scanning time when the case is checked out.

~Rob

If we expect the unexpected, does that make the unexpected... well, expected?

According to this the Code39 (or Code 3 of 9 or 3 of 9 Code) can encode tabs.

Microsoft Access - places a tab (in extended39) between fields:
=("!"&[DataField1] & "$I" & [DataField2] & "!") (See example below)

HTH

Leslie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back