Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something Wrong in AD - File Associations keep disappearing

Status
Not open for further replies.

GVN

MIS
Dec 2, 2005
US
Something is severly wrong in Active Directory. I have never seen anything happen like this... File associations keep disappearing on random desktop PCs. This is even occuring on PCs that have been reloaded, so I know it has to be something progagating down for AD.

What happens: files with either a .TIF, .JPG, .BMP, or .PDF all the sudden will not open when they are doubleclicked. When you look in the "Registered file types" within My Computer >> Tools >> Folder Options they are listed as being associated with an application to open them, but it doesn't work. Only after you delete the association and then re-create it does it work correctly again? Can AD manage these settings?

Mark

Are your machines patched and running Antivirus software? This sounds like a recent virus, but I can't recall the name...

And what about Windows Updates?

They are pretty much up to date it appears.

There are a couple ways your file assocations can be changed. That it's happening randomly is weird, and I would ask, are you sure it's random?

There are a couple ways to change file associations. Command line tools called "ftype" and "assoc". I would look for refernces to these in login/startup scripts in AD etc.

Also look for references to HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\ and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes in your logon scripts.

It's neither of these, sorry. That's why I think its something to do with AD...

Well, AD would include login/startup scripts set in GPO, wouldn't it? I don't think it's a built-in policy, but if you think it is, you'll need to use the Group Policy Management Tool to find the Resultant Set of Policy for any software settings. A good place to start would be at Computer Config\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Software REstriction Policies.

No Software Restriction Policies are Defined

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back