Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something other than Symantec

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick8078

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
We're currently using testing the trial version of Symantec Backup Exec 11D, but we're having a few issues with it, than and the ridiculous amount they charge for support, so I was wondering if there is anything else out there that is on par with it. We need to be able to backup at least 30 GB of data, an exchange store, and a server in a remote location.

Most backup software should be able to handle this. I think my first question is what's wrong with the built-in backup utility?

You could also look into Brightstor ArcServe and Acronis True Image (ArcServe is going to be similar to BackupExec, Acronis is a different approach with imaging ability.

Well, I haven't really looked into the built in utility, I suppose that could be an option. But my question back is, if there is a built in utility, why would any other backup software be necessary? Has anyone had experience getting it to work. I have looked over Brightstor, and thought about giving it a try, any thoughts on it out there?

well, u should be looking for Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server.
as lwcomputing mentioned it's backup software.
U'll be able to backup high amount of data (deffinetly more than 30) and will backup server to any other disk/tape.
have a look .

Acronis is a fine product. Brightstor ArcServe was good as well. And so was BackupExec (though I really have reservations about newer and future versions now that symantec owns it.

The built in backup utility sounds like it's just fine for what you want to do. As to why would other software be necessary, who said it was "necessary"? It can be desireable depending on your business environment. Just like most built in Microsoft software, it's not very robust. It backs up to a file (or tape) and it's possible to script.

Third party products can offer different features, for example, bare-metal restores, Software Compression (which does not exist in the built in tool), and agents to perform backups of other platforms and servers.

If you choose Acronis, you may still need to do a periodic Exchange backup via the built-in tool or the logs could grow excessively.

Now, I don't recommend any particular software here, but you might want to review my web page on Backup and Disaster recovery.

Although its something I haven't used, or know that it is in widespread implementation, there's also Microsoft's Data Protection Manager.

Its on my plate for further study, but appears to be targeted at mid-to-large size setups, even distributed and clustering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back