Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something is writing to my hard drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aja8888

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
US
I have a Compaq 1200 laptop with 98SE on it. Every 10 -15 seconds something is writing to my HDD for a second or so. If I am typing in e-mail or a word document when this happens, the curser is thrown to another location in the text. I re-installed 98SE and deleted a bunch of unrecognizeable programs/files, took everything out of the system tray and it still does this. Any ideas??

Mario

Hi,

Assuming that the machine has a reasonable amount of RAM (if not it may be using the swapfile) I would run a virus checker over it.

When you say "reinstalled" did you wipe and reinstall or install over the existing setup? If you did the former rather than the latter, any dodgy software could still be in place because an in place installation will preserve as much of the original setup as possible.

John

Thanks! I did not reformat the drive. I just used a boot disk and reinstalled and did not save the old OS. I was hoping that the problem was with Windows, not another program. As far as RAM, it has 96 MB with a 475 Mhz AMD processor. I am also using a wireless Logitec Mouse on USB rther than the touchpad. Nothing is running in the System Tray except for Explorer and Sys Tray.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back