Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Something else the worry about: Fake Defraggers

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
You pay $20 and get, at best, nothing or, at worse, serious errors. See Network World article.

James P. Cottingham
[sup]I'm number 1,229!
I'm number 1,229![/sup]

You really have to be careful anymore.
I have had several friends get bad Trojans this year.

None of them had a clue as to how they picked them up.
I had to fix all their computers for them. LOL

After the first one it wasn't to hard since they all had basically the same thing.

If someone wants a good defragmenter, I use Defraggler and have for a long time.
It's safe and from the same people who offer CCleaner, which everyone should use, both are free.

Mike

Yeah - how do I tell people the following:

"I have no idea WHERE you got your malware and I can't tell you with certainty that you can do any number of things that will GUARANTEE that you don't get something again."

I'd sound like a quack if I were a doctor.

Look at it this way Goom... The doctor can give the patient an injection to try and prevent 'flu. But that jab never GUARANTEES to cover every strain of influenza, so the patient can still come down with it if they get up close and personal with a carrier.

One or two of my business users still insist on mixing business with 'pleasure' on their machines, despite my suggestions NOT to do so. They sometime end up paying the price for this foolishness, and if I can catch it quickly enough I tell 'em the likely sites that have been visited.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Ah the "pleasures" of the internet - oh wait, what...... Hmmm.

Inquiring minds want to know........... or maybe not.

No, I understand what you're saying. It just confirms what people think about IT - a big mystery shrouded in geekiness.

I remember years ago in the days of DOS, a little program someone sent me, which would print:
"Your disk-drive is dirty. Wash now? Y/N"
If you answered "Y", it would turn the floppy drive on and off repeatedly, make grinding noises, and print
"Wash cycle..."
"Rinse cycle..."
"Spinning..."
"Drying..."

We all thought it was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back