Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

someone stealing my signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

canonguy

Technical User
Dec 7, 2005
i have a linksys WRT54G wireless router. i just set it up and havent encrypted yet. i just found out there may be someone stealingthe signal. i have a slow connection and i did an ipconfig and the conenction specefic DNS suffix listed another ISP(shaw cable) but my ISP is Telus. do i have reason to believe my signal was beinf=g stolen, and is it by any way possible to obtain this persons IP address or find out who the person is? also is there any programs that tell you when someone else other than yourself is connected to your wireless? also on my routers DHCP table it showed a connection from another computer, nd mine is the only onw woth wireless.

seems that you and your neighbor are offering a HOT SPOT to any body that drives by..I'd change the SSID to start with, then use MAC filter and make sure your computer was the only address allowed... recommend you change the login and password also...

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

After you change the SSID, stop broadcasting it. In the web-based router config utility, under Wireless, make sure "Wireless SSID Broadcast :" has the Disable radio button selected.

Feles mala! Cur cista non uteris? Stramentum novum in ea posui!

And, also, enable that encryption right away. Frank's suggestion to implement MAC filtering is also a must. I have only my wife's laptop (plus the one that rotates among us at work to bring home for on call) allowed to access the wireless part of the network.

Linksys routers have a one-button setup, but I've found that doing it via XP is better. Make sure that you have all the latest drivers for the wireless card in the laptop, and that the firmware is up to date on the router (visit the linksys web site).

Back up a couple of steps before you make any changes.

Are you trying to configure your router while you are wireless yourself? Is so, from your statement that the connection specific DNS is NOT your ISP, I'm under the impression that you are connected to somebody else's access point. Turn off your wireless card, get a cable, and plug directly into the router. That way you can be sure you are actually making changes to your equipment. Once you are sure you are messing with your own stuff, then do everything everybody else said.

Hmm.. Maybe you were inadvertently stealing the other guy's signal too?

i have a slow connection and i did an ipconfig and the conenction specefic DNS suffix listed another ISP(shaw cable) but my ISP is Telus.
after re -reading your slow connection is (probably stolen from your neighbor).."the one you are stealing".. GO DIRECT CABLE from your router to your set like "gtin" said, and then follow the suggestions... to insure you were not STEALING that slow connection from your neighbor...

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back