Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Somehow I lost my "desktop" button in taskbar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2001
US
Y'know, the little button that calls up your desktop from underneath a pile of open applications. Somehow I lost it.

I've gone to Start>Settings>Taskbar & Start Menu>Advanced Tab>Add ...but where is the item I need?

Thank you!

Try right clicking on the taskbar and choosing "Toolbars" and then "Quick Launch".
If it is already selected (if there is a check mark beside the words), deselect and then reselect.

Let us know if this does the job.

-Brett

Search (Start/Search/For Files or Folders) for a file named "Show Desktop". When found, right click/drag/copy this file from the search results window to the Quick Launch Toolbar.

OR

If all else fails, you can use the Show Desktop keyboard shortcut -- hold down the Windows key and press the letter M (M for Minimize all).

HTH

I found "Show Desktop.scf" but it's associated with "SimTown Sounds" and when I click on it, it does nothing (my son wanted Sim Town installed the other day). What should "Show Desktop.scf" be associated with?

Thanks for your help.

Associate .scf files with explorer.exe

Description
Windows Explorer Command

Application used to perform action
explorer.exe

Check use DDE

DDE Message
[ShellFile("%1","%1",%S)]

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.