Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Somebody, please, kill these Foxuser.dbf/fpt files 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMA99

Programmer
Oct 12, 2000
US
I created an exe for non-technical users that allows them to view, query and perform custom searches on DBFs. In most such programs I do a "SET RESOURCE OFF" and modify the 'start in' path on their shortcut to the application and this works well.

This one is different in that it's associated with files that have a 'dbf' extension so there isn't a shortcut. When the users double click on a dbf to view it these foxuser.dbf/fpt files are left behind in the directory of the table. My "SET RESOURCE OFF" and setting of the default path are both very early in the code but I still can't seem to prevent these unwanted files from appearing. I haven't used a config.fpw file and don't wish to distribute one. Is there a way to prevent these files from appearing in my case?

thanks in advance

SET RESOURCE OFF does not stop the creation of FoxUser files...it tells VFP to stop using the files. The only way to stop the FoxUser files from being created is to put RESOURCE=OFF in the Config.fpw file.

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports"

Usma99,

I haven't used a config.fpw file and don't wish to distribute one.

Any special reason why you don't want to distribute a Config.FPW? As Craig pointed out, this would solve the problem.

If you have a good reason for not letting the user get the Config file, you can always bind it into your executable.

Mike

My Visual FoxPro site: www.ml-consult.co.uk

Thanks all. I'll give Mr. Yearwood's a try but I can give in and use the config file if need be. I currently have settings such as network paths stored in a free table local to each install and I was simply being 'pure' in not wanting to have the system settings in two places.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back