Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

somebody please help to setup a dell 2550 from no boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayneree

Technical User
Jun 12, 2006
CA
tech left in dec(long story) server not operational.
will somebody assist, or suggest where to find somone.

Does it boot at all (i.e. anything get displayed to the console screen)? Does it beep or do lights flash? People here may be able to help if given a lot of info but if it's important you get it up and running quickly I'd look around your local area for a freelance IT technician or something...

Did look,, everyone's too busy, even checked the schools,, -major shortage of all trades in the northwest.

thanks for your reply.

yes does light up,
there is the f2,f10,f12prompts then:
plus embeded serverv5.50,
two processors,
adaptec aic 7899 build 25309,
poweredge expandable raid controller 3.35,
perc/3dc. battery module is present
"no boot device available-" and stops.

It looks like there's an onboard scsi controller & an addtional raid controller. Are there any hard drives in the machine? Has this ever worked or is it an entirely new installation?

new to us never come up yet,, I understand your comment, are both needed?

Both might be needed, depending on what's attached to them. Was this system supposed to come with an operating system or will you be installing one yourself?

missed part of your answer ,,,, yess 4 drives
fujitsu model man3367mc

will be installing one,,, suggestions? xp pro???
will run prizm/bam (motorola) on it, pluss

If there's no operating system, that's why it won't boot. You really should find some local help to make sure that this system is configured & set up correctly. It will work within it's abilities, but XP is not really designed to be a server operating system.

ok i understand thank you for your help,, suggestion for os

Download the Dell OpenManage ISO images from Dell's website (get the right ones for your model), create CDs from them. One of them should be a "Server Assistant" CD, boot from this (you may need to set change the BIOS config to allow boot from CD but by default it should do anyway). This loads a basic OS that allows you to configure the RAID etc. and then will prompt for your proper operating system CD (I'd suggest getting Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition) after that it will install the OS and the correct drivers for your server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back