Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some (simple) questions regarding DFS and SIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgcm

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2008
GB
Hi, I've recently implemented DFS (on a LAN, not a WAN), to improve availability, and it's working very nicely.

One instance of each data set lives on a server running 2003 R2, the other lives on a Windows 2003 Storage server.

I'd like to look at implementing SIS (Single instance storage), as I think it will free up a load of disk space. I know I can run SIS on the storage servers, but not so certain on the R2 boxes. If I've got DFS running, and SIS running on one device, will that device do the fancy SIS stuff, and replicate it back to the R2 box, or will I run into problems ?

Also (I understand the concept of DFS and it works for me, but some of the finer points evade me), if one DFS server has (for example) 8GB of disk space left, but the other (which it is related to) has 20GB left, am I right in assuming that the max capacity will be 8GB, as DFS won't let once instance be bigger than the other ?

Sorry to ask such dum ass questions, but I know I'll always get a sensible answer on here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back