Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

some server (web/ftp/email) related questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoshi273

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2003
US
Hello, I am setting up a win2k webserver for a friend of mine. The machine is a dual 2.8GHz Xeon w/ 2G ram, etc, etc, etc. It runs win2k server which I just freshly installed earlier today. It is a 1U rackmount and will be put in a co-location data center when I am finished. The server will run domain with a website that is all ASP and SQL. I have MSSQL - but have not installed it yet. Here are some questions I have...

What licensing mode on win2k server was I supposed to use? I picked per seat mode.

This server also needs to handle email. Win2k has an SMTP server already, but what about POP3 type stuff? Does win2k server natively support this? If not (which is what im assuming) what software should I use?

Do I need active directory on this machine? This server will basically be doing pop3/smtp/sql/iis/ftp for 1 domain.

What about MS-SQL? Is there anything special I need to know about that (especially if active directory is involved)? I believe I have a single processor license right now. I will add the other processor license later.

Any other tips/hints/ideas or whatnot that you can provide me with (especially walkthroughs, tips on security, etc)?

Thanks in advance!

First off Per seat choice is fine.

If you will be using POP, you will want Exchange 2000. It works great with pop mail.

For Active Directory that all depends. Will this server be part of a forest that already has Active directory installed. If so and you want to propagate policies and permissions then yes isntall AD. However when you do this remember that this server will get all its' permissions and policies from the AD servers. If this is goign to be the only server with AD on it then put it on there. AD is a great utility and publishes all your resources there for windows 2k clients to find them easily.

Ok, thanks for your feedback.

Keeping in mind that this is a public webserver and it will be the only one on the network/domain - do I really need AD?

Since the machine is going to be a webserver, I would think it would be worth considering getting Outlook Web Access (OWA)running.

OWA is a component of Exchange 2000 server, and provides HTML interface to mailboxes on the server.

What purpose does AD serve in this situation? I dont really have a whole network, or alot of users that will be on this server. All I have is a couple local accounts and a bunch of anonymous web-users.

Again, thanks much for all this info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back