Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

some questions on oneXportal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostZman

Vendor
Sep 22, 2011
US
We are basically implementing our first large one X Portal install. I have some basic questions I hope someone can help with. I think I have read too much already and I just need some clarification on a few points.

one-X is working in house just fine, although it does seem to be a bit of a hog when it comes to resources. I am not a network guru, but I am learning. Can users on the IP Office use Active Directory to sign into one X portal? If so, is there something on the IP Office that needs to be addressed as well?

Also, today we had training from one of my Avaya sales managers on using one-X mobile. We were instructed to make a name server that pointed to the local IP in order to get the mobility app to work. The IT guy wants to point a public IP to the local one X portal server IP. He has requested a DNS to point to the public. My understanding is that they will need this in order for the guys who are running smart phones to access the one-X-portal app on their phones while they are away from the office. They have another consulting company who manages their firewalls. When the local IT guy requested to have the IP pointed, the consultant raised a fit about how unsafe it is. He says they need to VPN in and connect securely, but this almost sounds like it would defeat the whole purpose of using the app?

First, are we understanding the correct application of the one-X mobile client and the local one-x-portal server??

Are their security issues or concerns here?

I really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

Zane

Security guys are always yelling how unsafe it is :)
You need just a couple of normally unused ports pointing to the 1XP server
You only need ports 8444 and 5222 and 5269 (from the top of my mind)
One of those is only needed if you do server to server federation which most don't do.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Yes. that is what the local IT guy requested. Public IP of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx pointing to local IP of 192.168.0.40:8444.
Then he is having a server name point to the public IP.

My apologies for not being a full fledged network guru, but it is my understanding that you will only be able to access that port on the router if you are running the oneX Portal application anyway???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back