Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some Outlook 2000 users can't delete email. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaPhx

MIS
Jul 21, 2002
US
A email was sent to users. It was recalled and replaced with an email that had only a subject line, no text in the body. Now some users can't open or delete the email. The error received is "Can't open this item. Unknown error" When they try to move the message to Deleted Items, users get the message "The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access denied."

Searched MS KB and nothing has helped. Any ideas?
Exchange 5.5 sp4, nt4 sp6a

Called MS Support.
An unpublished Outlook bug (fixed in Outlook XP).

Users may get the "Can't open this item. Unknown error." and can't delete the email when these conditions occur:

(1) receive a rich text format email then (2) reply to the email in rich text format by (3) removing the text in the body and reply with only a subject line.

Use Exmerge to delete the email(s).

Hi,

This is a form problem.
Use the old good "exchange 32 client" to remove the mail.
Exchange 32 does not support forms and can delete the item.

Best Regards
Wibbe

A trick I've used with good success with many "can't delete this item" messages is Shift+Delete. This is a permanent deleted and like I said, has worked many times when I couldn't find any other way to delete an item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back