Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some MS Office files are showing to be locked for editing after transferring them to my Mac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

atascoman

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
I recently migrated from a Win7 laptop to a Macbook pro. Some of my Excel files show they are locked for editing by the username on my old laptop and do not allow me to edit. Is there a way to take ownership or to remove this lock in the Mac OS? I am running OS 10.8.5.

Typically, this alert message appears when there is a lock file in the same directory as the Excel file that you opened. A lock file has a tilde (~) preceding the file name. When Excel is closed, delete all the Excel document files that are preceded by a ~ in their file names. Then try opening the file again.

These lock files may be a remnant of an unexpected crash while the document was open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back