Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some jobs back to USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
[cheers]

Could be high-profile wake-up call we've all been waiting for...

Jeff
If your mind is too open your brains will fall out...

I wonder how long the support of those desktop and notepad machines were out in India? I wonder if the learning curve was a bit steep and the guys out there hadn't been given enough time to get up to speed.

My previous company moved the support out to India but they got some of us to go out there to help out - the guys out there were good but they weren't familiar with the software and needed time to get to grips. The quality in support dropped a bit but I think it improved with time. I can see that it's not much help to the customer in the mean time.

I wonder if the support will stay in the US or are Dell just going to regroup and try again?

"Corporate customers were telling us they didn't like the level of support they were getting, and in the normal course of business, we made some adjustments," Weisblatt said.

Having dealt with Dell/India tech support, I say it's about time. I had to order some parts for a used Precision Workstation that I had bought, and it was torture. The language barrier was incredible. I can pretty much state with some certainty that they lost money on my parts order, as they initially shipped the wrong parts, which had to be sent back, restocked, and the difference credited to my credit card.

That experience was the primary reason why I steered my father to a HP laptop and not a Dell when he ordered one last week - I know he wouldn't have the patience to deal with them if he had problems.

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Oh, I gave up on Dell a while ago...

I agree with most of what has been said. I think it is not so much the software/hardware they (Indians primarily) need to become familiar with, but more the language/accent of the customers they are serving. As chiph intimated, there is certainly a problem when the caller can't understand what is being said and vice versa. I say that knowing only one language myself (English), so my hat is off to anyone that knows two or more, however some accents are harder for me to understand than others. The fact that Dell and others couldn't see that this was going to be a problem is a quandry. Either Dell didn't care and only had their eye on the money or the Indian companies that they hired put a best foot forward and got Dell to believe that it was indicative of the whole. Dell is far from the only company that did this obviously, just one of the most highly publicized...pity too, Dell makes darn fine products.

Slighthaze = NULL
[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back