Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations gmmastros on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

some IP Phone not working over site-to-site OpenVPN, packets modified on other side of tunnel

FrankSider12

Technical User
Aug 22, 2024
Hi,

I have five secondary sites connected to a main site using OpenVPN.
The main site is using digital phones and DECT wireless phones with a IP base.
I have 2 sites down at the moment, still trying to figure out the problems on the other sites.

Site A has around 10-12 desk phones plus two or three DECT and is working fine so far after two months. Had a few hiccups during the install (and the solutions was a bit weird, probably caused by a defect piece of equipment)
Site B, has 2 IP desk phones and two wireless DECT (with DECT Over IP base). Both wireless works but only one desk phone work.
Site C, has 1 IP desk phone and also two wireless. Both wireless works but the desk phone won't.

All desk phones are Avaya 1616, everywhere.

Phones not working communicate perfectly on bootup to get config/upgrade via several ports (mostly 80). Next step is the registration on port 1719 (UDP) and that's where the problem occurs.

On remote side of the VPN, I can see the packet entering the tunnel perfectly, looking at it with Wireshark, I see no problem.
But on the main site, the packet is changed and has an extra 4 bytes "81 00 C0 00", and the location where it is inserted in the packet is at the source IP. Since the four bytes are inserted, what was supposed to be the destination IP is now the source IP and the destination is lost.

So what should be:
IP 192.168.93.244.33396 > 192.168.90.201.2017
Is now:
IP 192.0.129.0.49320 > 192.168.93.244.23241 (Ports are also changed because everything is shifted 4 bytes)

SIP ALG and H323 transform are disabled.
I'm using simple routing tables, no need to use NAT, port forwarding, ...

All site have the same configuration except for the subnets.
Everything was working before when on Meraki, now on Ubiquiti EdgeRouter.
I use this kind of setup in many places with VoIP with no problem, first time with Avaya.

And I also want to add that I tried I lot of things on site B, like disconnecting the working phone and try make the bad one boot, replace the bad phone with one that was working on Site A, upgrade of the PBX (and phones at the same time), replaced patch cords, switch various phones, and so on. A lot of stupid things just in case.
On site C, only phones are connected to internet, so don't bring possible injections or some kind of viral infections.

Anyone has an idea? Questions?
Thank you for your time.
Francois

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back