Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some hosting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

iskool

Programmer
Oct 11, 2006
JP
Dear all,

I hope these questions are not inappropriate on this forum

I am about to start a UK web based business which would involve (hopefully) many people logging in to the site - initially hundreds and then who knows..
The site targets UK users.

My current hosts are in the states and are very good - Speeds and reliability seem great.
So my first question would be; is there any real need to use a UK web host?

Also, should I be looking at a dedicated server or starting shared and then moving up?

Lastly, would anyone recommend a UK web host (.Net + MSSQL SERVER)

Many thanks,

Jon

Personally, I don't think where the hosts are located is a major concern anymore and for my own site, I use a host in the USA.

For the dedicated/shared debate, I think you'd be best off starting on shared hosting as it is much cheaper. If your site really takes off, your host will help you with any necessary upgrades.

Have a read of the about page on my site for an excellent host.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

There is a rumour going around (you know what those SEO folks are like) that having a USA server will hit your google rankings on goolge.co.uk as it prefers UK sites. It calculates this, so the theory goes, by looking at IP routing. Then again this may just be a load of tosh.

Make sure that you are in control of your own domain registration and that you can easily change DNS server as this will allow you to move your site very easily.

If you are going for a small launch and are looking to build up over time then shared hosting is the best place to start as it is so darn cheap. You can then upgrade as and when you need to.

If you are backed by VC and have a huge marketing campaign then a dedicated server would be a better decision. For dedicated servers you can't beat Rack Space. They sound expensive, but watch out as other providers are inclined to charge extra for fire wall, backup and support. Also I have found that if you keep telling the Rack Space sales man that you can't afford it the price starts to drop, works particularly well toward the end of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back