Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some folders take 5 seconds to open

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeBattery

Technical User
Aug 30, 2003
GB
I partitioned my 80gb harddrive into 3 so I could organise my data a little better, I have xp on the first partition, music and videos on the second and documents and downloaded programs on the third.

Normally if I click a folder it will be highlighted in blue, fast click again (therefore a double clcik) and it will open. With some folders I double clcik on the icon and they are not highlighted, infact nothing happens for about 4 seconds then the folder will open as normal.

The folders are not large, amounts range from 10mb folders to 40mb folders, there is nothing special in them, only a few text documents and some programs I have downloaded from respectable sites.

I have not changed any system configuration, I have run a spyware check and there was nothing, I dont know what is causing it.

Windows XP
7200rpm 80gb hard drive
384mb rd ram
1.5ghz pentium 4

Not every area of a hard disk is accessed at the same speed. A little more RAM would allow XP to allocate more to the file cache on your system. You do not speak as to the type of filestore you used for the partitions. I suspect a defrag would help some if it has been a while.

This is from a later thread, and I should have thought to suggest the same to you.

One thing that seems to help, and I have not done any measurements to prove that it helps, is to increase the default customization limit for folders.

From the remarkable Kelly Theriot:

Windows remembers 400 folders. When that number is reached things start to go wrong. You can up this to 1000 by adding this to the registry. All tested and working. Things will last a little longer.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:000003e8

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam]
"BagMRU Size"=dword:000003e8

If you prefer not to deal with the registry, you can use the edit from here:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2)

Save Settings on Exit (Line 54)

duh,

I did. Sorry. I was looking for something else and the tip was fresh on my mine.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back