Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Some emails do not get downloaded to all clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjw001

Technical User
Aug 12, 2002
GB
I have an email account (gmail.com) which I share with one other person.

I check the emails via Thunderbird on a Windows 8 pc and also via an Android phone.

Until recently the other person used only Outlook 2007 on a Windows 10 pc.

Everything seemed fine and we both saw all the emails.

A few months ago the other person acquired an old iPhone (not sure exactly which edition) and had the phone set to also collect mail from the account.

We have now noticed that a few emails do not get downloaded by Outlook. They still arrive in Thunderbird and can be seen via my Android phone.

Is this problem in any way connected with the introduction of the iPhone, and if so, is there a way of fixing the problem?

Thank you for any assistance.

Make sure that the account (on both devices) is set up as IMAP and NOT POP3. That would cause a problem in terms of leaving email on the server vs. pulling the email off the server, making it unavailable to the second device.

Thank you for the reply, but this leaves me with two problems.

The first is, how do I change an email account from POP3 to IMAP. I thought this was set on the server or do some email systems have two servers - one for IMAP and one for POP3?

The second is that having looked on-line the only way I can see of setting the type of account is to delete the account from my devices and recreate it. In fact, on my Android phone I can't even figure out whether I am using IMAP or POP3.

Only one server. Two ways accessing it. There may be a setting on your email account to ALLOW IMAP and/or POP, but the actual setting is on your client/email application.
Android phone - that's not my area of expertise, but you can delete the account and recreate it. You might be able to drag your emails from the OLD account folders to the new account folders after creating the new account that is IMAP. You can also forward messages if there are not too many. You guys didn't think about this too hard before implementing!!!! Should have called an IT guy. It helps us pay the bills and for users to NOT have problems.

Prior planning and preparation prevents poor performance.

Thanks for the info and link, although Thunderbird is not giving any problems. The problem seemed to start when an iPhone was added into the loop.

I am a bit perplexed by your second and third paragraphs. This is a personal email address. Are you suggesting that everyone who has email for their own personal use should pay a contractor to set it up for them?

Ah well, you and/or the other person screwed this up, right? Had you hired someone, they might have had the foresight to scope out the whole situation before implementing things. Just like I never mess around with plumbing. Why? Because water can cause thousands of dollars of damage in minutes. Know your limitations and respect your boundaries. But...........

I've used this site to get help with problems, and the problems are usually because I don't fully understand what I am trying to do.

In the past I have always had assistance. This is the first time I have been hit with snide comments instead of attempts at helping me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back