Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solution to change raid5 HDD from 10K to 15K

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokaina

Technical User
Feb 5, 2004
RO
I have to change hdd from a raid 5 configuration, from 10K to 15K (HDD are the same size)
Server configuration :
Compaq ML350
641 controler
RAID5
3xHDD 36GB 10K
Novell Netware 6

there is a kind a solution to do this job, without lose my data.

Drive speed should not make any difference.

The firmware revisions of the new drives should be the same/newest release. Check the disk suppliers site for known problems with the new drives. Had a firmware problem with Seagate 15k drives at revision 003 last year, very rare but check.

Do a full backup, preferable two, verify one of the tapes can restore data, one small directory restored to an alternate restore path is sufficient. Cruise on over to the alternate directory path and verify the file are there, don't trust you tape software.

Without being familiar with the card, the general procedure is..
Shut down the system completely, yank ONE of the old drives, replace with ONE of the new drives (ONE drive at a time or you will destroy your array !!!!)
Start up the system, a message should say the logical array is degraded and rebuilding, If it is not rebuilding, you must go into the raid card setup...make sure the new drive is recognized and on-line, then manually start the array rebuild.

Once the rebuild is complete, (and you better verify this), you can start the procedure over again with the next new drive, until all the new drives are in place.

Many cards will allow disk replacement to occur with the system operational. I have given you the method I have used with different cards, and it has always work, but I don't have time to go into replacing drives with the system operational.

I would advise doing this when the system can be offline for a while, takes time for a disk rebuild. Technically the system could be used during a rebuild, with degraded performance, but I don't recommend it unless necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back