Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solution Required for project actuals spreadsheet - summing/comparing

Status
Not open for further replies.

matpj

Technical User
Mar 28, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I have two Excel worksheets containing project actuals - from two data-sources (one datasource per worksheet)

Each project will have several rows for each time entry.

What I need to do is compare the two and highlight where there are differences between the two worksheets.

(They SHOULD both be the same, and this activity is a reconciliation one, to identify where one database is showing different information)

Can a pivot table use a datasource over two worksheets?
I was thinking that I could pivot, with the project number down the side and the Actuals, and Budget from both worsheets across the top (4 columns).
Can anyone think of another method?

Matt
London (UK)

The data sources you mention are they databases tables and how are you getting the data in to the worksheets.

My recommendation is to use MSQuery with a union SQL statement that creates a single recordset of data, you must also create a dummy field in the query with contents of Budget or Actual depending on the data source.

Load the data into Excel and create your pivot table from that. Alternatively a better way is to use the pivot table direct to the source data but that is slightly more advanced and a good working knowledge of pivots and msquery is advisable.

If this sounds good please advise and we can set you off in the right direction.

crazy times call for crazy people

CrazyPabs

sometimes I wonder why I even bova...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back