Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solution for 'Characters not supported' error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlockley

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
US
And also the "This is not a rich text file" error for formatted memo fields.
There may be another solution, but using a Paradox a great deal with cut and paste, I am happy to have found this.
It requires a serial cut and paste clipboard application called Clipmate. ( which costs about $30. There is a free trial. It is possible that other applications can do the same thing.
By default Clipmate saves all information in rtf format but pasting from an email or web page to a Paradox memo or object field is problematic. Either the fields will not accept the text at all (email -> object) or will not work with a series of non alphabetic characters such as ", (), @, &, ", etc. Contrary to some suggestions here, setting text mode to ascii international does not solve the problem.
The developer of Clipmate - It's one of those cottage industry apps and is well supported - suggested trying to force the out text into rtf by using the keys Ctrl +W while in the Clipmate screen. Amazingly this works. It should not be necessary, but it is.
I am curious if anyone has another way to deal with this...Until recently I have simply copied ascii or web text into a word document then re cut and pasted into Paradox, but had to pick out all of the symols by hand for memo fields (they rarely impact alpha numeric fields).

Correcton: That's the Windows key + W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back