Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solidify Data Model

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbarlow55

Programmer
May 30, 2007
CA
Hey,

I've used Powerdesigner to design a database, from the conceptual to the physical, and implement it using the auto generated sql scripts.

Now I'm at the point where I would like to solidify the model so that for any changes I make in the future, the auto generated scripts would provide sql that alters the model instead of deleting and creating everything. I thought I read about this feature somewhere but can't figure out how to do it.

Can anybody help me?

I've figured this out...

In the PDM... when you generate the database you have to check the option "Automatic archive" which then saves a .apm file which holds all of the schema information.

Now after any alterations, instead of re-generating the entire database, go to Database->Modify Database... and in the "Obtains database schema" section select "Using an archive model" and use the file that was created when the database was originally generated. Now the resulting SQL script alters the schema and retains all the data in it. There is also an "Automatic archive' option here so the updated schema information is saved as well.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask. This is a very useful feature and I'm sure it will help you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back