Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid vs Stranded Cat5e

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael13

Instructor
Jan 17, 2002
AU
Hi

As I understand it, solid core cable is used for no moving cabling (eg patch panel to wall sockets) and stranded stuff is used for patch cables (between wall socket and hardware). It is an issue of cost vs usage ie solid is cheaper but can break if the cable is moved to much. Is it ok to use stranded cable in the walls (the extra $10 isn't too bad if I can use the excess cable for patch cables...).

The only issue I can think of is cable strength (pulling the cables around may be a problem for stranded, although I suspect if it is rough enough to snap the stranded cables, solid core wouldn't be far behind).

Thanks,
Michael13

as far as why some cat5 is stranded and some not, i'm not for sure, even though i have my suspicions (ask daronwilson, he'll know). but they make stranded cat5 in quanity for installations too. i've had to use it in schools for ALL cabling (GTE wanted it that way) it was a big pain. so, there must be some real reason why they would want that. that being said, it will be fine for you to use it the way you're suggesting. wait for daronwilson to post, then you'll know everything there is to know about it. lol i'm not being a smart ass, you guys do a great job! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

My feeble understanding is that of the 100 meters allowed by cat 5, only 20 meters can be patch cable. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Geez how can I pass THAT up! We don't use stranded Cat5 in for the permanent portion of the wiring because the attenuation is MUCH greater than that of solid core wire. I don't have my books at home, but I don't believe it is standards compliant in the permanent horizontal cabling. Patch cords are limited in length because of the greater attenuation, so that the over all channel will still pass the needed tests even with the lossy stranded patch cable.

Also, I don't believe the IDC type of connector (110 block style on patchracks, 110's, modular jacks, etc.) that is approved for stranded cable. Of course someone will likely want to prove me wrong on this one, I welcome the input.

I don't know about pulling strength, but if we examine the pulling limit on Cat5(e), we find that the limit is based on the amount of tension required to actually stretch (and therefore make the wire thinner at that point) 24 gage solid copper. I suppose if you applied that same methodology to stranded wire, the strands must be quite small, and I suspect the wire would stretch with little pressure. However, I don't know the limits on it.

Regarding patch cables, since I can buy 7 foot patch cables for under a dollar in any color, WITH boots on the plugs AND my laser printed label on them reminding the customer where to buy more....rarely is it worth making my own anymore. After I carefully thread the wires in, crimp both ends, scan them to make sure they are compliant, it just takes too long.

There's my two cents worth, good luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

i wonder why GTE (now Verizon) wanted me to install the stranded in the schools we installed. do you have any ideas or do you think they were just stupid? about the jacks and ect. we used regular cat5 panduit on that job so it wasn't as hard to terminate. keeping in mind we had to reterminate some cables while testing more than likely because of bad connections due to stranded cable. either way stranded cable sucks! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

I think the reason they sell stranded in bulk is so if you really wanted to spend all your time making patch cables, you can buy 1000 feet of the stuff and have fun. I have never seen it in any store though, only online.

I make my patch cables out of solid (hey I get my cable for free so I can't complain) and I have not had any problems.
However, I have had trouble making patch cables with stranded cable (putting new ends on factory made cables, etc) It was hard to straighten the conductors to put them in the plug.

Daron, where do you get patch cables for that price? jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

Well, I usually don't reveal my sources...but I pick mine up from Gruber Industries in Arizona ( Also I just checked my inventory and I paid $1.22 for 7' 5e last time in small quanities, the price I had in mind was actually Cat5. Anyway, it just isn't worth making patch cables for me anymore.

Good Luck! It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Regarding stranded cable, as I look up the MUTOA requirements, you can use longer patch cords in the layout. However, there is a formula for determining length of the patch cable based on a 20% higher attenuation factor than solid cable. Also, according to the ISO/IEC 11801 standard, these flexible cords may have up to a 50% decreas in attenuation.

So based on that, I would say if you were to use stranded wire, to be safe you should as a minimum reduce your overall length by 20% and more likely 50% to account for the increased attenuation.

Sources were the BICSI TDMM manual 9th edition and the EIA/TIA 568 standards.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Back to the punch-down issue...just try it with stranded, you'll quickly know why it is not recommended. EEEESH, what a mess. Email me! denodave@yahoo.com
Real men pray...especially techies!

Probably the reason they wanted you to run stranded cable was so they didn't have to install jacks. If you figure a jack and plate on one end and a patch panel on the other it adds up when going cheap. Personally I will not crimp connectors on cable, it comes back to haunt you.

I WILL FISH FOR FOOD

I have to agree...I wouldn't recommend using stranded on a punch block. Stranded is good because of the flexibility, but I would recommend solid when you are running cables...especially to a punch block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back