Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solid to Wireframe rectangle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyroon772

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
GB
Hi,
I am trying to show an imported part, half solid and half wireframe. I have done it with a standard 3ds sphere using 2 parts, 1 wire frame and the other with a top to bottom material. But it only works with a sphere can't even get it to work with a rectangle let alone my imported part.
Any ideas???

Wireframe will work on any geometry. To make a half and half of anything, you need two seperate objects, because the wireframe property belongs to an object. This means to do a half and half box, you need two boxes. As for your object, the segments must be set up so you can divide it into two parts. To do this you can:

1.Convert to editable mesh if it isn't one already

2.Go into vertex sub-object mode

3.Select the verticies down the center and to one side of the object

4. Hit detach, as object (clone).

5. Go back into sub-object mode (if it kicks you out) and select the verticies again except the ones down the center and hit DELETE

6. Exit sub-object mode

Now you have 2 seperate objects. Select one and apply the wireframe property, leave the other alone. Cool huh?

Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back