Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

solid color but see through gif...need for drop down menu background

Status
Not open for further replies.

spewn

Programmer
May 7, 2001
hello.

i have a dropdown menu on my nav bar. i want to create a background image for it, so when i appears and drops down i can still *kinda* see the website behind the sub nav contents.

i can already put an image in the background, so that part is done.

what i'm trying to do is create aa 50x50px solid grey image, with the transparency or opacity is 50/50, so it's almost a screen door effect, or opaque glass window.

i'm not too familiar with photoshop, tried making the 50x50 image, then creating a layer and setting the opacity, but everytime i save it for the web, gif, it isn't see through at all.

any ideas?

- g

GIF is either 0% or 100% transparency.

The effect that you might have seen on other sites is done through CSS, javascript, or a PNG file.

The easiest solution would be using a PNG file. You would start with your 50% gray image, then add a channel. Fill the channel contents with a gray fill. Save the file as a PNG and retain channels, but flatten layers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back