Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockman75

Technical User
Nov 2, 2002
US
I am planning to build my first UNIX machine as a server at home. I have read a lot of UNIX tutorial books and did some research on the Net. I am thinkin to go with Solaris.

Wonder if Solaris is easy for a first-timer like me.
should I go for Lunix first? I feel like I can handle Solaris,but never used, not even seen it before...

Please give me some advise...

Plus I have the followin hardware... Is that O.k to go with Solaris..

Pen3 1Ghz. 256MB. Intel ATX mother board.
Western Digital HDD 20G. LinkSys 10/100TX NIC

Solaris is probably the most popular and stable UNIX distribution, although there seems some doubt over Sun support of the Intel architecture version. Development is also some way behind the SPARC platforms.

Solaris is also very well supported by the users at large. You may need a lot of help installing on a more modern intel architecture, though.

If you are a beginner, it may be wiser to go with Linux - I would recommend Red Hat, since it is now supported on all the main UNIX distributors hardware platforms as well as Intel.

At the end of the day it is your choice, but bear in mind that unless you pay for support, you'll have to fix problems yourself. Linux is the best bet under these circumstances.

Just an opinion, but I *HIGHLY* recommend that you go with one of the Linux distributions first to learn with at home. Solaris (both SPARC and INTEL distributions) is a wonderful product, but isn't very beginner friendly at all. That, and I personally believe that there aren't as many Solaris Intel "toys" as there are Linux "toys". Having something fun to download and play with will keep your interest in UNIX. Play with Solaris once you're comfortable with UNIX.

Rockman, since you are new to UNIX, I would start out with a easy to install and use version of Linux, such as SUSE or Corel. Redhat is the "defacto" standard for servers, but it is far from user friendly to learn from. Start easy and then rebuild once you understand what your messing with and move to Redhat at that time.

Once you feel pretty comfortable with yourself and Linux, then look into moving up to Solaris.

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back