Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris on Intel laptop !!! is it good solution ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitanav

Programmer
Mar 10, 2003
IN
Hi all ,

I need to install Solaris on my dell laptop .? is it good solution to do ? what else i will loose ? what will be frequent problem ? please focus on the same !!

thanks and regards

Smitanav

Hi,

Check the compatability of your laptop with Solaris x86. It can be checked on the Sun web site and the Solaris x86 website :
This also gives useful hints on installs and drivers.

Thanks

Sunny

Thanks Sunny ,

i will find out and will keep posting

Smitanav

If the laptop already has an OS, make sure to back up your important files first.

Also, if you have partitioning software, try to partition the laptop's hard drive, leave the already installed OS alone, and install Solaris in its own partition.

Definitely check out the site Sunny's mentioned. It's got some great information.

My biggest problems with Solaris for X86 have been video card related. You might be able to get the OS to install with a generic video driver, but you need a better match if you plan to use CDE or another Solaris GUI desktop.

You might want to try running vmware (assuming you have enough CPU, RAM and disk space). This will give you the ability to run WinXP, Solaris, or whatever at the same time. I like it because it gives me the ability to use my companies Windows programs and also run all my custom Solaris programs.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back