Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Netscape 4.78

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegnut

Technical User
Apr 18, 2001
US
K I'm running Solaris 9 and using Netscape 4.78 on an Ultra 60. I go to a web site that has some sort of Java applet on it, and I can't freakin view it. No errors or anything, I just cant see it. Is there something I need to download or something to get it to work? I have had people ask me how to fix this before, and would love to figure out so I know from now on.

Just in case, here is the link:
It's right in the middle.

Thanks in advance for any help,
J

do you have java turned on in the browser?

i know it's a silly question, but just asking.

otherwise ... i'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but Netscape 6 (mozilla as well) need to have a version of java with the plugins directory

java 1.4 has a .so file that can be used

a link from /usr/java/jre/plugin/i386/ns4/javaplugin140.so into the netscape plugins directory fixed mozilla ...

the ns4 is the browser version.

Jon

Yeah Java is turned on. Also, /usr/java/jre/plugin/sparc/ns4 contains a javaplugin.so, not javaplugin140. (Also the directory change fromi386 to sparc).

When the page loads, I get the following error on the bottom of the Navigator window:

JavaScript error: Type 'javascript:' into Location for details

I'm stumped...

ok ... so it's not a java problem, it's a javascript problem.

in the location bar type 'Javascript:' instead of 'http:...' or anything that is there. You should get a javascript message window which will tell you the errors.

It does, however, seems to work on windows Netscape 4.75 ...

you could download Netscape 6 for solaris, or Mozilla (which i think is better) which should work.

Jon

ok here is the output for that error. I am no java god, so I dont get it.

JavaScript Error:
line
55:

document.object1 has no properties.

Now I know this works on a Windows platform, because I look at it at home. That's why I don't get it. Come on Solaris! You can do it!

Thanks for the help, anymore and you will be the MAN!

J

from what i can tell, mainly the problem seems to be that the div "object1" is defined after the javascript is supposed to be run.

may be wrong, could be that different versions of netscape interpret document.object1 as something different from the div "object1" object.

do you have a hand in editing/maintaining this page?

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back