Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Hi,

does anyone know whether Solaris 7 comes with a built-in maximum user licence proviso? I think not, but others have suggested that this is the case.

TIA

I have never seen any.
It probably has a coded-in maximum number of concurrent sessions though. Ian

"IF" is not a word it's a way of life

I'm not aware of any such facility under 2.7

To the best of my knowledge OS licensing on 2.7 follows the standard sun pattern of - if you bought the hardware from sun, aren't serving (in some nebulous sense) things out from the machine in question, and don't routinely have more than two people logging into the box then you're fine as a desktop license is included with all sun hardware, otherwise you need a server license. However I'm not aware of anything that enforces this (I don't have any 2.7 desktops around, but our 2.6 and 2.8 desktops are capable of supporting more than two users at once, and I'm not aware of any specific configuration we've done to out 2.7 servers to servify them from a license perspective).

I'm not sure if the free 2.8 binary licensing scheme has a 2.7 equivalent.

Callum

I had a problem using Solaris7 with number of sessions and changed /etc/system
inserting set maxusers=64
and set pt_cnt=128

stopped people being unable to login because of the number of sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back