Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris Admin Jobs 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DayDreemer

Technical User
Dec 15, 2006
US
I am a technician who also serves as a "local administrator" for some of our medical systems that uses solaris as their operating system. Since first dabbling in it about 6 years ago, I have become quite fond of the OS, and am considering becoming certified for Solaris 9. For the most part, I maintain the DHCP servers, and install new systems onto the network. Does the certification automatically qualify me as a administrator? What is a typical job description for a Solaris Administrator? Any tips are appreciated.

You can check Salary.com for some good job descriptions: UNIX admin or Operating Systems Programmer.

As for what qualifies you to be an administrator... I don't think you need a certification. It sounds like you're probably a junior administrator right now. A certification is supposed to say that you're more or less an OS expert.

That said, you can probably improve your knowledge of Solaris by really studying and understanding all the concepts on the certification test.

Something else to keep in mind, anybody can get certified if they try hard enough. It is a process that is supposed to identify the best admins out there, but this isn't always the case. Most employers know this. Coupled with some real experience though, a certification is a nice bonus and adds to a resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back