Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 x86 & Connectix Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarified

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
US
Has anyone installed Solaris 9 on a virutal PC? I'm trying to install v9 x86 with VPC version 5.1 and in the first steps of the install it will NOT mount the hard drive. Is there something I need to be aware of? I've tried an unformated Virtual HD and a FAT16 formated HD. Neither worked... any suggestions?

Never mind, I found a bit of info... this is good info...

"VTOC" is a disk volume table of contents. That is, it describes Solaris disk slices and, for Solaris Intel, resides at the start of the Solaris fdisk partition. The VTOC contains information on Solaris slices within the Solaris fdisk partition.

If you get a message similar to one of these: "Can't open -- No VTOC" or "can't open - no hsfs VTOC" you've probably told the install program the wrong location of the installation CD. A common error during installation is answering this question wrong: "Select one of the identified devices to boot the Solaris kernel." What it's really asking is the location of the Solaris installation CD, not where you're planning on installing Solaris on the hard disk.

Also, make sure to remove the CD before rebooting. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back