Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 + V100 + SunScreen 3.2 = Killer Solution, *but*....

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbLA

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
Hi All,

I'm looking for some encouragement *and* advice/guidance. I've conceived this great configuration that I want to deploy in the next few months, but I'm having a hard time getting my head around some of the networking details.

Here's what I want to do:

1. Set up a Sun Fire V100 with Solaris 9 to act as a router between me and my ISP (Cogent, the "100 Mbps for $1,000 per month." via OC192 fiber backbone people... Yikes!) Most of you will already know that the Sun Fire V100 already has two 10/100 NIC built in. Seems like a natural job for this sub $1000 server! (and no... I don't work for Cogent or Sun.. I just love "New!" ;-)

2. After the V100 is configured as a router and passing traffic between my ISP and my LAN, I want to install Sun's SunScreen 3.2 (which is now free with Solaris 9).

The main problem is that I'm a little out of my league, and that's where you guys/gals come in. I've been search high and low for some good documentation/guides on both the details of setting up the V100 as a router and installing/configuring/running SunScreen 3.2.

At this point, doc.sun.com is the only thing that I can find and because I'm a little new to this kind of network administration, the Sun documentation is a little bit of a tough read.

Like I said at the start of this post, I'm looking for both encouragement *and* advice/guidance. Does my plan make sense? Are there published FAQ's/Guides that I can turn to? Does anyone have first hand experience at this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for any help or comments.

-r
--
robb

Hi,

Well, after working with Sun support (I got a Sun support contract with the V100) I figured out the router question, so here's the summary for that:

Basically, once you configure the two interfaces to be both sides of the two networks, the key to get the traffic to pass inbewteen the two is to set ip_fowarding on:

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_fowarding 1

If anyone has any experience or advise about the SunScreen part of this, let me know. If I find my way though it like the router issue, I'll post my results.

Thanks
--
robb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back