Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 9 - DNS Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainman

ISP
Mar 22, 2001
US
I just installed Solaris 9 last night, and during the install configured it's fastethernet adapter. I can ping my default gateway (192.168.0.10), and I can ping out to the public Internet (IP's only).

When I try to ping a webpage (that I know is pingable), I get unknown host (as if it can't resolve the name -> IP). Tried bring up a browser, and same thing, can't resolve.

What I've tried so far is to create my resolv.conf file, and place it in /etc.

The file consists of:

/etc/resolv.conf =

domain [domain.net]
nameserver 199.224.86.15
nameserver 199.224.86.16

I am not sure how this file takes effect after you save it, so I just restarted the PC. Upon reboot I still can not resolve names.

The odd part that I noticed is, if I do a NSLOOKUP then key in a name (microsoft.com, etc.) it will indeed do a lookup, and it is looking to the proper DNS servers. Why isn't ping/telnet/anything else looking to the proper names?

Any thoughts?

-Rainman

Try editing the /etc/nsswitch.conf file. The line you want to edit is "hosts: files" make it look like this "hosts: files dns". That should solve your problem.

learningsun-

You were correct. I did manage to figure this problem out a few hours ago, but what you wrote was exactly what fixed it. All name resolutions were looking only to "files", which in turn pointed to my /etc/hosts file I believe. The moment I added "dns" to it, those name resolutions were looking externally (as a 2nd choice, first being the file).

Thanks for the response!

-Rainman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back