Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 with cable modem for home office

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngun

Programmer
Apr 27, 2001
US
Hi ppl,

I am a newbie with solaris, and I want to use solaris as the gateway computer for my home office (just for the heck of it... I don't like Windows). I am going to get cable modem and router, but I don't know if they are compatible with solaris 8 (intel). Most of the cable provider require some HD space and CD-ROM to install driver and software, so I don't know if it works with solaris. Also, how do I configure the IP since cable modem provide only dynamic IP. I need to configure the network for 3+ computers (all with dynamic IP).

Please give me a hand. Thank you.

i'm assuming that the cable modem has a network interface to it (i.e. you are using a solaris compatible network card to connect).
if so then it is _very_ probable that you can get it to work.

if you are on a sparc machine then the interface is probably /dev/hme0 or similar
if you are on an intel(compat.) box then you will need to have a compatible network card.
if your network card is an intel etherexpress or similar then the device could be /dev/iprb0
if your network card is a 3com card then it will probably be /dev/elxl0 or /dev/elx0
if you don't yet have a network card, make sure you buy one from the compatibilty list. i'd go for the intel cards, they work best from my experience.

then to configure the interface to dynamic, and to talk to the cable modem all you have to do is type:
Code:
ifconfig <device name> dhcp

Try this, please

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost CCxxxxx-A # where CCxxxxx-A is your hostname
24.x.x.x CCxxxxx-A loghost # where 24.x.x.x is your assigned IP

/etc/nsswitch.conf:
hosts: files dns

/etc/resolv.conf
domain ebnsk1.nj.home.com
nameserver 24.3.196.33
nameserver 24.3.196.33

/etc/dhcp.elx0 (empty file)

/etc/hostname.elxl0 (empty file)
NOTE: replace &quot;elxl0&quot; with your NIC device name

No /etc/defaultdomain, /etc/defaultrouter, or /etc/netmasks files are used. This info is handled by DHCP. Reboot and you're hooked up. Here's my (partially disguised) netstat -rn and ifconfig -a outputs:
$ netstat -rn
Routing Table:
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
24.x.x.0 24.x.x.x U 3 2 elxl0
224.0.0.0 24.x.x.x U 3 0 elxl0
default 24.x.x.1 UG 0 44
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 0 236 lo0

$ ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=849<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 8232
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask ff000000
elxl0: flags=4843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST,DHCP> mtu 1500