Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 - simultaneous recv() failure - multiple processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

flibs

Programmer
Oct 24, 2007
GB
Hi,

I have a large system running on Solaris 8, with client software running on Windows. The server runs multiple instances of a single executable, each instance being dedicated to handling the tcp/ip comms to a specific client.

The server typically runs 1500+ concurrent instances of the executable, with around 350 having an active connection at any time.

No changes have been made to the overall application for a considerable time (approx. 1 year).

Recently, there have been two seperate occasions where all 350ish active connections have simultaneously failed, with recv() returning zero bytes read.

I have been informed that the network is beyond reproach, and that the problem must lie within the software. However, I cannot understand how 350+ independent instances of a process could simultaneously encounter the same bug.

Can anyone offer a possible explanation of how this could happen?

Thanks,

Flibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back